NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
103 Randall Drive, Waterloo, ON N2V 1C5, Canada
Opportunity: We are looking for talented, ambitious, and driven individuals ready to learn and to shape the future of high tech. You will be taking a key role in driving the support and deployment of Avvasi’s video solutions.
Avvasi’s Xperium platform is a scalable, carrier-grade platform for mobile video analytics and optimization planning services. It analyzes streaming media traffic in aggregate for large IP networks. The platform is a highly-available, managed, upgradable bladed system that houses a large amount of computing capacity. The software is architected to be high-performance, fault-tolerant, and linearly scalable.
The Service Delivery & Support Engineer is a key position responsible for problem resolution in the Service Delivery & Support group. You will manage and resolve complex product and deployment issues escalated through various levels of customer and Avvasi management.
Some of the specific responsibilities include:
• Demonstrate exceptional knowledge in providing technical support of Avvasi’s products, and in the resolution of complex issues involving product features.
• Lead restoration of critical outages and travel to customer sites, as necessary to provide direct resolution and restoration. Develop procedural workarounds when serious product defects are identified and test them to guarantee effective field implementation.
• Lead the root cause analysis of systemic field problems and facilitate effective communication with key customer Operations personnel. Provide analysis of results that include action plans to drive continual process improvement and prevention of future product issues.
• Plan and execute onsite deployments and trials of Avvasi products.
• Train customers on all functional aspects of Avvasi’s products and solutions.
• Assist the sales team with product demos as part of pre-sales activities.
• Develop and share technical product knowledge with colleagues.
Your level of responsibility will be shaped by your abilities, drive, and ambition. Our expectation is that you will immediately become an actively contributing member of a highly competent Service Delivery & Support team. You will learn new technologies and protocols as you develop support solutions and expand your technical arsenal. From troubleshooting customer issues, to onsite deployments, to demonstrating Avvasi products in front of customer executives, your activities will be dynamic, challenging and each week will be different from the last.
Requirements: The candidate should have demonstrated progressive experience in order to support the resolution of complex issues in the Service Delivery & Support group.
Specific technology expertise for the role includes:
• Telecom Core Switching and networking concepts including: Ethernet switching, MPLS, VLAN, QoS, IP routing and addressing, TCP streaming, CDMA/HSPA architecture, DNS
• Ability to quickly learn the key issues from a business perspective associated with wireless and fixed broadband networks – VPN, firewalls, mobile IP, IP addressing etc.
• Excellent Linux knowledge and troubleshooting skills
o Linux OS and application installation and updating
o File system and drive management
o Configuration and diagnostics tools for monitoring performance, configuring interfaces, and debugging network issues
o Tcpdump and wireshark to analyze traffic including debugging packet loss issues, determining protocol distributions, and analyzing layer 2 tunneling protocols
o Scripting languages including bash and Python
o SCM tools
• Excellent networking equipment background
o Knowledge in network operating systems (preferably Cisco IOS, Juniper JunOS)
o Experienced with telecom operator’s 24×7 productive environments
• Knowledge of key interfaces in relation to fixed and mobile technologies and experience with functionality of these networks
• Basic knowledge and/or interest in Internet video streaming protocols such as HTTP PD, HLS, Silverlight, RTSP/RTP, and RTMP
The candidate should have demonstrated experience (7+ years) in the following areas:
• Experience with Over-the-Top (OTT) Video protocols such as YouTubeTM and Netflix® etc., and the OTT ecosystem
• Experience with networking protocols and concepts including DHCP, Load Balancer, Firewall, GGSN, SGSN, DPI, OCS, PCRF, PCEF, 3GPP, Diameter, Radius, LTE, IMS, Soap/XML, SNMP
• Experience using SQL to extract information from databases
• Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills
• Experience with deploying and supporting products in customer locations such as Internet Point Of Presence (POP), Central Offices and Data Centers
The candidate should also meet the following core requirements:
• Accredited university technical degree. BSEE, BSEET preferred
• Highly organized, motivated, and execution-oriented
• Must be a self-starter who is comfortable working in a highly technical environment
• Demonstrated ability for continuous learning, creativity, and problem solving
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Flexibility to travel 25%-50%, and the ability to work flexible schedules based on customer requirements, including responding to pager requests and customer site visits
The following competencies are highly desirable:
• Demonstrated ability to support pre-sales activities
• Experience with 3rd party network taps or traffic monitoring switches
• Experience with 3rd party traffic generation tools
• Ability to read and understand C++ and Java source code
• Basic application debugging knowledge (using GDB or DDD)